Whether you work remote part-time, you’re a freelance worker, or you run a small business from your home, chances are that you’ve got a home office. Looking to make your home office a better, more efficient, and more pleasing place to work? We’ve got you covered! Check out this list of the essential home office supplies that everyone needs.
The Ultimate Home Office Supply Checklist
- Computer – Almost all business is conducted electronically, so you’ll need a computer for email, instant messaging, web browsing, and more.
- External monitor and peripherals – If you have a smaller laptop, consider getting a large external monitor and a keyboard and mouse. This will help you mitigate eyestrain, and create a more comfortable working environment.
- A high-speed internet connection – You’ll need at least a 20Mbps connection to make sure you’ve got enough bandwidth for your business.
- A network router – Having a router is a good idea if you use multiple devices to connect to your home network.
- The right desk for your needs – Your desk could be a table, writing desk, or even a standing desk – whatever makes you comfortable.
- A comfortable chair – You’re going to be sitting for most of the day, so find a chair that’s ergonomically supportive and comfortable.
- Pens, pencils, and paper – Even the most modern offices can’t go paperless. You should have some printer paper like Double A Paper on-hand for printing documents and jotting down notes, as well as plenty of pens and pencils.
- Standard office supplies – Staplers, paper clips, highlighters – you never know when you might need these handy office supplies.
- Mail supplies – Stamps, pens, and an address book are essential. You’ll need to mail a check or send a piece of physical mail someday!
- Business software – Are you a graphic designer? You’ll need Adobe Creative Suite. A sales manager? Make sure you’ve got Salesforce. Download all the business software that you need.
- Surge protectors – Surge protectors help protect valuable electronics like computers, printers, and more from electrical damage.
- “All-in-one” printer – Modern all-in-one printers have scanners, fax machines, and copy capabilities, so they’re perfect for a home office.
- Backup drives – Make sure that you have at least one physical backup of your computer, and consider investing in a cloud backup software to keep your most critical files safe.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) – This is like a surge protector with a built-in battery. It supplies power to your electronics even if a surge knocks out your power grid, so you can save your work.
- Filing cabinet – Keep those paper documents organized and out-of-the-way.
- Desk storage – A few storage boxes on your desk can go a long way when it comes to keeping your workspace clean and tidy.
- Fire safe or box – A fire safe is the best way to protect critical documents like contracts, Social Security numbers, and tax documents.
- Paper shredder – If you are working with valuable or confidential information, you’ll want a paper shredder to make sure that it’s kept safe. A cross-cut shredder is inexpensive, and great for peace of mind.
Get The Home Office Supplies You Need With This List
Wondering what your home office is missing? Check this list again and see what essentials your office may be lacking. If you follow this guide, you’re sure to have a more productive, efficient workspace in your home.