Sustainability is about protecting our natural environment and health. How can we incorporate sustainable actions into our everyday lives? Each individual can contribute to a greener planet by incorporating small changes and consuming less, both at home and at work.
Saving at the Supermarket
We can improve our personal, mental, and physical health - as well as our environment - by choosing to live more sustainably. We can start by shopping in a way that supports our mind and body, as well as the health of the planet.
- Buy in bulk every few months to save money and reduce packaging waste.
- Choose eco-friendly products that are biodegradable.
- Choose organic products whenever possible, and support small local businesses and farmers’ markets.
- Eat what is in season - it costs less for you and for the environment.
- Reduce the amount you buy. By doing so, you can reduce trash output by hundreds of pounds a year!
Saving on Transportation
Inspire others to take small actions towards sustainability each day by making it a habit to act and consume more consciously - both for your personal health and for the planet. Show others that there is more than one way to get to work!
- Use public transportation
Sustainable Family Activities
We can inspire younger generations by including them in our acts of sustainability at home. They want to be better and contribute to their communities. Let’s show them how! Let’s encourage them to get involved at home, at school, and in the world.
- Volunteer with your family in your local community.
- Explore nature. Take a hike. Ride bike trails through the forest.
- Start a garden. There is something very special about eating the food you harvest.
- Organize community clean-up days.
- Shop second-hand, rather than obtaining newly manufactured goods.
Tips to Improve Home Energy Conservation
Each individual has the power to reduce his or her carbon footprint through many small acts. When we change the details of our daily lives, we see that we actually can make a difference. There are alternative ways to live and alternative products to use that can help protect the Earth. We can certainly enact sustainability at home through home energy conservation.
- Convert to LED light bulbs.
- Use cold water instead of hot water, especially when washing clothes.
- Create separate containers for the type of trash you are disposing of.
- Start a compost pile in your yard.
- Xeriscape with drought-tolerant plants.
Consumers vote with their dollar for the type of products they want to purchase. Businesses should be held responsible for combating climate change and world pollution with sustainable practices and energy conservation. Let’s save the planet for the generations to come.